Saturday, February 3, 2018

3Y0Z - Bouvet 2018 Aborted!

The much anticipated 3Y0Z Bouvet Island DXpedition has been aborted.

As reported on DX-World, there were issues with getting weather clearance to fly their helicopters, which would delay them for a week and more. The island is pretty, the weather is not. Winds of up to 80 knots and more caused the ship to bob up and down making helicopter takeoff and landing extremely unsafe. Basically as one DXer put it - "it's like a cork in a flushing toilet." 

Then came this update from co-leaders K0IR, K4UEE, LA6VM:
During the last 72 hours we continued to experience the high winds, low clouds, fog, and rough seas that have prevented helicopter operations since our arrival at Bouvet. No improvement was predicted in the weather forecast for the next four days. Then, last night an issue developed in one of the ship’s engines. This morning the captain of the vessel declared it unsafe to continue with our project and aborted the expedition. We are now on our long voyage back to Punta Arenas. As you might imagine the team is deeply disappointed, but safe. There is already talk about rescheduling the DXpedition.

Folks, to say this is disappointing is an extreme understatement. The team were all prepped, and ready to roll. Some of these guys are personal friends of mine, and I know that they are heartbroken to an extreme. Not to mention the team at FlexRadio are extremely disappointed since their radios are on board and they are a principal sponsor.

However, SAFETY always comes first, and I'd hate for us to lose some of the best minds in the ham radio world to mother nature and Murphy. So, I am hoping for news of when they will reschedule. I will gladly donate again for a 2nd attempt, if they choose to do so.



No comments:

Post a Comment